Sunday, April 15, 2007

International Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Day (April 23)

I don't usually do this, but Making Light has linked to a post by SFWA vice-president Dr. Howard V. Hendrix which decries writers' decisions to post their material freely on the net. Hendrix calls said writers (among other things) "scabs" and "pixel-stained technopeasants". That, in turn, inspired Jo Walton to pronounce April 23 International Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Day and to suggest that "everyone who wants to should give away professional quality work online." Full details are at her site (linked above).

I confess that part of my delight in this is the thought of being able to read more of Walton's work, since her Tooth and Claw remains high on my list of favorite fantasies (Trollope with dragons!). The discussion at both sites also offers an interesting reminder of just how generous many talented people are in making their work so readily available -- yet another reason to promote the project.



1 Comments:

Blogger Jill ONeill said...

Didi: Thanks so much for posting this! I don't think I would have been aware of it so rapidly otherwise. I think Hendrix is a little paranoid, but you know that frequently to get oneself heard in the modern arena, one has to do and say dramatic things just to have a modicum of influence in moving the world.

Like you, I don't expect that everything will be free but I don't think it is apt to kill the world if some percentage of writing is made available at no cost to the reader...

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home